Thursday, May 10, 2007

Sunsets


I usually want to pass out at the end of a semester. While I have boundless energy most of the time, I am usually just wiped out by May 1.
Since I like to teach in the summer, I don't get much of a break. But, still and all, a nice shooter or two and a nap are good.


Graduation at LCCC is quite an event at our college; we run 2 back to back full fledged ceremonies (yup, same speeches, same awards, long long long names for each diploma...ugh). Generally, graduation bores me to tears (thank god for the pockets in those robes - they hold exactly one large bottle of water, two packs of peanut butter crackers, and a worn copy of Frankenstein). While I was happy that the speeches were short, I must say that I was more emotional at this graduation than most.

For one, Nada graduated. Nada has been the force behind theater at LCCC for this past year (along with Jeff). While I am officially the faculty advisor to the un-club, I don't actually DO much for the theater. In the past, I directed. But, these last few semesters, I have not had time to do much with directing, and she directed Antigone and Importance of Being Earnest for me. While doing this, she maintained a 4.0 in the Honors program. Plus, she had a heart for the poor and needy of this world. She is just the best student I have ever had at all of the 2 and 4 year colleges I have taught at in the past 10 years. She is incredible woman - humble, intelligent, and kind. She will be terribly missed.


Daliah graduated, too. She is a special student because she started over in the middle of life and worked to be successful. She waitied until last to take English because she dreaded it so. I am so proud of her and the work she did for my class and her other classes.

And, now, the sunset rests on these students and new students start Monday. Sunset has always been my favorite time of day (how Keatsian of me). To some it means death; to me it means stillness, reflection, and pause. We need the rest so we can start the new day with energy, passion, and excitement.

In SL, I hope to celebrate each new day with the Keats of SL, Adrian; my good friends in education (there are just toooooo many of you to list); and my team (Neo, Eloise, Horace, and Foe). Without all of you, this second life would be meaningless.

No comments: