Saturday, January 05, 2008

An Open Sky in Education


I am a big fan of Will Richardson. I think he is a great guy, and he has a lot of important things to say. In a recent post, Will talks about the education we all seek. Those of us using Second Life to teach college courses are well aware of Nay Sayers and the impact they have on our daily lives. I have a whole host of nay sayers that speak in whispers about the "Dungeons and Dragons" game I play in lieu of teaching. Now mind you, not one of them has come to me and said "show me Camelot." Instead, they speak in whispers in dark corners clasping their hands in HORROR!

Will says that we would all love a school that is "a place where learning is at the heart of everything." I feel that way about my teaching, but his post hits such a tender spot for all of us. We get frustrated by the lack of vision amongst our peers; we are the "one" out of ten that make a difference.

So, the next time you rez a prim, create a 3D Inferno, build a pooping chicken, or create molecules in the air, just know that you are one of ten out here making a difference. But, all of us combined add up, and we will fight the good fight.

Eloise and I and Daliah have all had terrible colds over the past few days. We wondered how those germs spread over the ocean, but we should be back in the swing of things. This semester, students will be building a ghost town for Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters and building virtual quilts after reading the play "The Quilters" by Molly Newman and Barbara Damashek. If you are interested in seeing my smoke and mirrors "dungeons and dragons" card trick, email me any time or IM me at Desideria Stockton.

No comments: